Saturday, April 01, 2006

Rough Patch

Well, yeah, I guess you guys are right and I am feeling a little jaded and frustrated these days. In all honesty I do like India but I'm going through a rough patch these days and am getting attacked on all 4 sides. Any of you that believe we are on a "vacation" should try this some time. It's not a stroll along the beach....
Of course India is known for its hassle and I must say as the official interface between India and our group that I have to deal with it a lot more than the girls.
Speaking of the girls, they are more annoyed at India than I am and I've had to deal with a lot of "We are ready to leave this country now" talk for the last 2 months. A lot of travellers say INDIA is an acronym for "I'll Never Do It Again". I can see why. Though I don't necessarily agree I can say that if I ever come back it will definately be without any female companions. The female angle just adds 15 extra layers of hell to the experience that I don't need. I don't know how they put up with it and I feel so sorry for all Indian women..... They're a lot tougher than I am. While I'm on the subject of females I'll have to correct Shean. I can't sell the girls here (much as I'd like to sometimes). By Indian practices it is the bride's family that pays up the huge bucks to get rid of their daughters. It's such a huge thing that "dowry deaths", where the wife mysteriously dies at home because her family still hasn't paid up enough, are all too common and on any given day it doesn't take much effort to see examples in the papers. Hard to imagine that stuff still occurs. It's disgusting.
Thirdly, I have been trying to get out of this country for a while now but organizing the next leg has been a very stressful process. I have been very distracted by it for a while now for reasons that will become very clear in the next few months. We are not going to be coming home after a year out. For any of you that still believe that old lie, well, tack on another year to be safe though I am only planning the next 6 months so far.....
Finally, yeah, my health has been a bit on the fritz lately. As it turns out I seem to have a rib out of place now. Don't ask me how I did it but I remember hearing the crack one morning in Puri and I am still skin and bones enough to be able to see that it's not right. On another note, hard pillows suck. Bad for the jaw. My jaw has gone back to popping in and out of place like before. I got braces a second time to fix that, I don't think I can handle a third....
I know this post is beginning to sound like a rant and that is not what we meant this site to be so I appologize. I'll try to be better in the future. We leave for Delhi tomorrow morning. I strongly suspect we'll be there for our final two weeks in India before our visa runs out and we have to leave.
Ammon

2 Comments:

At 8:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get attacked on all 4 sides and frustrated, just slow down and look back all the distance that you already covered in the past 10 months. Almost 11 now! Wow...
I am so proud of you,
Sannnnnnnndra

 
At 4:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

im still jealous of the experience you guys are having! :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home