Saturday, November 07, 2009

Pay day :)

Ok for the record, I am in the Philippines still. I work at a Korean school. That means that I am teaching only Korean students and the management and ownership is Korean. They are all adults from about 20 to 30 years old. As part of my deal I am given a private room at the school and 3 Korean meals a day. I don't like spicy food, but thus far I have managed quite well. There is always something not spicy that I can eat and I leave the Kimchi alone... The students actually think it's pretty funny that I have such a wimpy mouth.
So ya, I get room and board, free laundry, free access to the internet in the office when they aren't busy and finally a small salary. I make a whopping 250 pesos/hr. That works out to a little over $5/hr. It actually less than the going rate for a native-speaker but I don't really care. I have a lot of freedom and it's not like I need a ton of money. I need the experience and job.... Actually, it's a lot by local standards anyway. The minimum wage in Manila is about 380 pesos/day and here in Iloilo it is as low as 230! That's for 8 hrs of work, ouch! So, as you can imagine, things are pretty cheap around here and I do earn enough to enjoy myself (well, if I felt like spending anyway). I am probably just going to save up and spend my long weekends and Christmas break running around in other parts of the country.
Last night I discovered the local bowling alley. Some of the students took me. It was pretty funny. It's a normal 10-pin place but they use small balls, like 5-pins size, so you can really whip them down there and have fun with it. They also have people standing at the back to manually set up the pins too.
So things are generally good and we'll see how long it lasts. I have made no long-term or contractual commitments here....
Ammon

1 Comments:

At 4:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amo,

Good to hear that life is ticking along just fine and that you're able to share some of your endless knowledge to those around you!
Bre and I are sitting on Bedarra Island working on a new video for the website and heading up to Cairns tomorrow before going back to Hamo soon.
Think about you and chat about what you may be doing...this time last year we were somewhere near Ethiopia I think, awaiting parts for Kees's truck!
Bre says hi and I guess we missed out on all the fun of Rhiis visiting Vancouver - we should have one of our own soon!
Love ya
Ben& Bre xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home